Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Friday, June 11, 2021

Fishermen in the Creek

 Song - Fish and Whistle by John Prine


 

While gardening today I happened to look down at the creek and saw this Green Heron.  She noticed me up on the bank but she was very interested in fishing right now. 


She spotted something nearby.....




...and quick as you please she had a minnow in her beak....gobble, gobble and it was gone!

 

Not 10 minutes later I looked for her again but instead saw this Great White Egret fishing in a deeper part of the creek.


 

He noticed me as well but was hungry for lunch.  Unfortunately he was so quick the photo is somewhat blurry but you can see his head underwater and the bubbles from the splash. And up he came....

 



 ...with a crawdad! He held it for awhile but then I think he decided it was too big to swallow so...plop back into the water it went.




Yesterday I was watering the veggie garden and I had an encounter with a Hummingbird.  It was incredible how playful she was.  As I was watering she came by to suck some nectar from the bright orange nasturtiums bordering the garden.  She sat on the wire fence and watched me closely.  Then observing the stream of water from my hose, she darted in & out of it.  She stuck her long tongue out to drink the water and then landed on a Dahlia leaf as I sprayed near her.  A dip in the Dahlia leaf collected a pool of water and she drank from that as well.  Then she flew off only to come back several more times to play.  I called her Betty....she liked that!


“If people concentrated on the really important things in life,

 there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.”

 – Doug Larson.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...