Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Friday, February 19, 2021

Returning Friends

Song - You've Got A Friend covered by the cast of BEAUTIFUL

I know that Spring is around the corner as the Canadian Geese have been landing on our roof early in the morning doing their annual mating ritual.

 


The week started out pretty well as we had an intimate birthday dinner last weekend for Mr. B who turned 70 (yikes) and our middle son Jon who is turning 35 in a few days.  I was worried that we would have to put up two easy-ups because rain was threatening.  But all was well on Saturday morning and I was able to set up our large outdoor table with appropriate social distancing.  Of course it was on the cold side so we had a great fire in our outdoor fireplace and lots of blanket and coats were worn. And with that behind me.....

 

I moved on to enjoying the birds in our backyard!  Above is a White-breasted Nuthatch.  They really love the new suet log I place out there.  Actually it's not just tree climbers that use it but a variety of songbirds enjoy it as well.



The Downy Woodpecker comes several times each day so I try to keep the log full of suet for all of the visitors.

Early this week Mr. B read that songbirds are getting sick and dying in California.  I quickly read up on what was happening.  Apparently the Pine Siskin's are spreading salmonella across the state as they fly through from Canada.  So the recommendation has been to take down all backyard feeders and bird baths where birds are likely to congregate. Oh no....I said out loud.  They are my favorite company & entertainment during this pandemic. I then had a good talk with myself as to how selfish that is and the safety of the birds is much more important.  Apparently it will only be for a month or so until the Pine Siskin moves on to other territory.  Phew.....

There is another danger to my songbirds lurking out there.....




The Red Shouldered Hawk!  Usually he is hanging out in the big Oak trees that surround our property but lately he has been dropping in a lot closer to keep an eye on my little friends.  I'm not too sure what I can do about him other than throwing an ice cube at him occasionally. They are beautiful creatures but I love my songbirds more so I just try to make his presence around here a negative experience.

 

And when you have a happy, dedicated little helper like I do.....

 


 ....you are in it for the long haul.  I refill most of my feeders once or twice a week and I need all the help I can get.  Henry isn't even two years old yet but he loves helping me gather & fill the feeders and watching for the birds to come and eat.  He even imitates the calls they make! Then we go inside and wash our hands very carefully.....thanks Henry!


"Education begins the moment we see children 

as innately wise and capable beings. 

Only then can we play along in their world."

--Vince Gowmon





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...