Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Something Squirrely is Going On

Song - The Sounds of Spring - Bird Song

This is really a story of determination verses stupidity.  I am not sure which side I am on!


How do you keep squirrels away from your bird feeders?



I have spent - well, a lot on anti-squirrel devices.

It is not like I don't like squirrels as they are funny little characters but I am going broke buying birdseed! They will just hang upside down on one of my feeders and drain an entire feeder in a day or an hour.


Getting ready to attack a freshly filled feeder


Fill 'er up!


They lay in wait to see what I will come up with next.


Watching me through the kitchen window


I have bought domes and caged feeders.  I have even had two that would spin and supposedly send the squirrels flying.  I kinda liked that image - ha!

SloMo Squirrel Flung

I have tried pelting them with ice cubes figuring that it would at least water my garden when melted.  After breaking some garden lights, I decided that I needed a new approach.


"Hey Charlie, what do you suppose she will do now?"

I don't want to hurt them but I really want to discourage them from eating the birdseed.

Super Soaker to the rescue!



My two new anti-squirrel devices

The first one I bought was the pump action kind and by the time I got it pumped for power and firing, the squirrel would be gone (after having a good laugh at me!).


Then I decided to buy a battery operated one.  Perfect, I just pick it up and shoot.  Only problem was that the water was just a little light spray. 



Just waiting for the perfect moment to attack


The squirrels just lay on our pergola laughing and enjoy the cool mist that I am providing for them.  Ha Ha - the joke is now on me.

This one is giving me the "skank eye" and wondering what lame idea I will come up with next!

Shhh......

Don't tell them.....I have attack dogs.....





"But tomorrow, dawn will come the way I picture her.
barefoot and disheveled, standing outside my window
in one of the fragile cotton dresses of the poor.
She will look at me with her arms extended,
offering a handful of birdsong and a small cup of light."

--William Collins

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...