Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Friday, May 25, 2012

Santa Cruzin'

Song - Under the Boadwalk by The Drifters




My parents bought a sweet little cabin in the Santa Cruz mountains about 35 years ago.



It is in an incredible Redwood forest with a covered bridge nearby that you walk through to get to Grandma's Beach.  It has survived earthquakes and floods.

Dad & his brother on the river next to the Boardwalk

It is a sentimental place for them as my father spent his summers camping near the beach as a young boy and my parents would go there while dating.


Friends and family (Mom & dad are on the far right)


My mom & Duchess the dog & Dad's family


When they bought the cabin it was in desperate need of some love and care.  It is a beautiful log cabin, with wood floors and large windows.

Dad & Mom at Aptos


My dad's parents - Violet & John (and Duchess) in Santa Cruz
My parents have faithfully worked on her over the last 35 years and not only restored her to her former beauty but added a lot of extra's! Sheet rock and skylights (which is much needed in a dark Redwood forest), a dormer for the kids to sleep in, they extended the deck, added a workshop for my dad and countless other wonderful features. Many, many years of hard work, but they have a lot of fun there as well.   A lot of new friendships were made and a lot of grandchildren rode in the "Grandma's Beach Express" wagon to the river's swimming hole.


Andy & Katie at Grandma's Beach


After 35 years in such a moist environment, the deck now needs replacing by the next generation.  We all have such fond memories of our time at the cabin that it is a joy to be able to "give back" a little to both the cabin and my parents.


TJ kicking out the deck railing

Andy b. helping to demolish

A rare photo op of Mr. B during the demolition

The foundation piers being set

So for Memorial Day weekend, our family will happily work together on restoring the deck that we have enjoyed for so many years.  Some will cook and some will hammer but it will be time well spent.....together!



Thanks to Mom & Dad for providing us this little spot of heaven!



"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see." – John Burroughs

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...