Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Tweeting and Greek Mythology

While in Paris, I was trying to get a photo of these cute "blueish" pigeons (tweet) getting a drink of water and I discovered a lovely little statue behind them. 


The statue is ""Polyphemus Surprising Acis and Galatea", by sculptor Auguste Ottin, and was added to the fountain in 1866.  This is Acis, a shepard from Sicily, with Galatea, a sea nymph.

As you look up you see the Cyclops Polyphemus jealous with rage (he has a crush on Galatea, the sea-nymph) and he has discovered her with Acis. Polyphemus kills Acis with a large bolder. Meanwhile my little birds have decided to "get out of dodge"!  Can't blame them....

This is the Medici fountain in Luxembourg Park built by Marie de Medici in 1630.

Now I don't know about you but I have always wanted a Cyclops statue in my garden!


And I'll bet you were trying to figure out how I was going to connect "tweeting" and Greek Mythology.......huh?

OK, enough history lesson for today.  Enjoy your Thursday!


"Myth is an attempt to narrate a whole human experience, of which the purpose is too deep, going too deep in the blood and soul, for mental explanation or description."
- D. H. Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...