Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Tortoise



That would be me...the tortoise.....very slow.  It took me 10 years to decide about how we would best remodel our house.  I clipped photos from magazines (thousands of magazines) and read book after book.  I checked the internet for updates on what appliances, windows, contractors, paint colors, flooring, cabinetry, design, to see what felt was right.  I checked to see if we were within our budget while still obtaining quality materials.    Maybe it's my metabolism but I feel like I have always been this way,  checking things out thoroughly before I put my toe in the water.        S....L....O....W..... (right mom?)
Tim & Jeanette at Tahoe cabin

My two brothers would try to get me to ski down "gun barrel" in our teens, at Heavenly Valley but NO, I was quite content to go down the bunny slopes and work on my turns.....for years!!!

I wasn't like that when I met Mr. B......I knew he was the one.  My friend invited me to a local baseball game....he was the catcher on an adult softball league.  Instantly I knew he was kind, had a good heart, was very interesting, sweet, handsome, funny, loving, and deep.  

I wasn't like that when I was ready for children....I think I knew that decision from the age of 4......but it kind of amazes me that I can feel in my soul that these huge decisions are right but I can take forever picking out the right vet for our dogs, or deciding on what plants need to go where in the garden, or what color to paint the kitchen.  
20+ warm yellow kitchen colors (there were 3 other walls with similar swatches!) - our patient contractor.......


Maybe some things are written in your DNA ...or in your soul.  Kind of like a bird knows when to make a nest, then sit on it and then (like our backyard Canadian Goose nest) she knows when to leave it because the eggs are not ever going to hatch. 

A Robin's nest


I hope all three boys grow up to be just like their dad! (Well maybe without the BIG glasses!)
 



Jon & Jim
 
TJ & Jon



Jim & Tyler
Tyler & Lily
























Andy & Jim

Kayli & Andy




“Nature is slow, but sure; she works no
faster than need be; she is the tortoise that wins the
race by her perseverance.” -Henry David Thoreau,
naturalist and author (1817-1862)
   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...