Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Friends in High Places

Song - Winter by The Rolling Stones




This morning I woke to some very happy birdsong.  Our Oak tree was full of Robins and Starlings and a bird that sounds like a rusty hinge, Flickers and Hawks!

But if you look closely at the photo above, you will notice someone else in the berry bushes......in the upper left corner is part of a Cedar Waxwing.  They left our garden last week when a Hawk flew at them and haven't been back until today!!








The Privet tree was full of them and they let me set my tripod up quite close.




As I walked around our garden, I noticed some other delights of Winter.....above is a patch of Hellebores which is blooming in our shade garden.





And a nest up in the Wisteria arbor - I never noticed it until all the leaves dropped off......




And a little hummer enjoying some sunshine.




 And not one but two different Flicker's enjoyed the Privet berries too!
The bird above doesn't have the typical red patch on his cheek.





 But in the late afternoon light I caught sight of a Northern Flicker in all his beauty.



 He wanted to make sure I photographed his "good side"!



"And from Humming-Bird to Eagle, 
the daily existence of every bird 
is a remote and bewitching mystery. "

~Thomas Wentworth Higginson, 
"The Life of Birds," Out-door Papers, 1868





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...