Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Sunday, July 22, 2018

Creature Comforts

Song - Birds by Neil Young




Meet my new bird friend "Hop A. Long".  Every morning he shows up on my outdoor fireplace expecting some peanuts.  And again in the afternoon. He hops along (hence the name) any lifts each peanut in his beak assessing it's weight....then he flies off with the heaviest one.

But sometimes......





.....his enemy Mr. Scrub J will show up as well and they will duke it out over who will get the most peanuts.  

God.....I really need a life!




Hop A. Long will keep watch while grabbing more than his share of the nuts.  





But look who is overhead peering down on Hop A. Long......Mr. Scrub J!

I truly need a life.............




 I see you little trouble maker up there......

Help.............





Friday and Saturday I spent the day between my pool and vegetable garden staking up my tomatoes.  The tomatoes are so heavy with fruit that it took me half a day each day to untangle the vines and pound stakes into the ground to hold them off of the soil.  I even used my son & daughter-in-law's wedding sign for some support!





 On Friday I was able to pick two zucchini and three ripe tomatoes as well as a ton of Basil! We have had a heat wave in Northern California and every thing is either frying or maturing rapidly!





And look at this cute little guy - he is a little watermelon!  I have never grown one before.





A dragonfly resting on some of the tomato stakes.





I still see you Mister.....don't even think about raiding the bird feeders!




My shade garden is fairly happy because they don't get that blast of sun but just a little heat and dappled light.  Above is the row of Limelight Hydrangea's that I planted for the wedding two years ago.



The Hosta's are in bloom right now along with the Gardenia's.........




....which smell heavenly!




I have fresh water all around my garden for the birds and they really appreciate it when it's warm out.





But since I have been feeding the Steller's and Scrub Jay's, I have noticed that they are chasing the songbirds away from their feeders.





And they are making a mess on my patio furniture..........so, as much fun as they are to watch I think I am going to have to stop feeding them.  


Yesterday afternoon as I was reading by the pool, a family of five Blue Birds came to my feeders to eat a little and drink some cool water and then flew off happily!  I did not have my camera at the time but I will from now on!  It was a magical moment!





As the day was ending Mr. B joined me in the pool and we both read and relaxed.  He motioned for me to come over to the deck to see something.  So I grabbed my camera (I had grabbed it right after the Blue Birds showed up) and there was a Great Blue Heron looking for fish in the creek.





I guess I do have a life.....in my own backyard!




And look who snuck into the bird feeder while I was busy admiring the heron...........


"Do not take life too seriously.  
You will never get out of it alive." 
--Elbert Hubbard



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...