Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Sunday, October 4, 2015

A Birthday Surprise

Song - A Little Help From My Friends by Paul McCartney and Ringo Star



This is my dear friend Jill, who's birthday we celebrated on Saturday.  I knew 2 months ago what I wanted to plan to celebrate but I wanted to keep it a surprise.  So I asked her to reserved the entire day from 9:30 until midnight for me.  I had a car full of blankets, towels, ice chest and 6 special cards.  In each card I placed a "clue" as to what we were going to do in the evening.  And at the final card she needed to unscramble 5 letters and 1 word.  Easy right?

First card - GO

Second - a star

Third - just a funny note about going to a field to watch the stars

Fourth - IN

Fifth - R

Sixth - a more serious card about all of the fun times we have had over our many years of friendship




We went to the beach at Point Reyes first. It was windy but we found a little area in the dunes where we could spread the blanket and be sheltered from the wind.  At this point Jill just had the first two cards - GO STAR



I explained to her that something special was happening that evening with the stars.  I feigned shock that she wasn't aware of the celestial excitement for that evening.  I told her that we would be in a big field watching the stars. TRUTH!

I had made lunch reservations at Nick's Cove on Tomales Bay so she received the next 2 cards there.



I made sure that I had picked out some very mature cards for my sensitive friend!


She now had Clues 1-4......GO STAR IN......and she didn't have a clue as to the answer......the suspense was killing her!  If you know Jill, she is always pulling a rabbit out of her hat so it was fun for me to have the tables turned for a change!



The water was crazy-rough out on the bay while we walked out to the little party shed on the end of the dock.



 We found some shelter behind the building and a lovely couple offered to take our photo.

Here I gave her the "R" card and I thought for sure she would put it all together at that point. Nope.  She is a brilliant nurse and could not unscramble 5 letters....mmm.....early onset dementia perhaps?


As we headed over the hills inland to Sonoma I decided to give her the last card and an extra obvious surprise clue.  Just that morning I had made a CD of this star's songs which I played for her but she just couldn't get past the order she had opened the cards in - GO STAR IN R........

She is singing along with all of the songs from the CD and chatting about how much she would like us to go see this performer the next time he tours California.  We are 3 blocks from the venue and I am thinking that she will soon see a poster or sign for the concert.

So I ask her to please try unscrambling the letters again.......and tears came to her eyes.....I knew she had figured it out at last.

Here we are in Sonoma at The Field of Dreams seeing Ringo Starr......






Those are Ringo's drums in the back with the STAR on them.  In the front is the opening act Pablo Cruz's drums.




Pablo Cruz was fun but it was all about Ringo and His All Star Band tonight (see I told you we would be in a field with star's!)




The sun had set and the lights came on!  Here he comes.....




They played a lot of Ringo's songs but each of the band members is a star in their own right so a lot of other songs where enjoyed.  Ringo is very generous in sharing the spotlight.




Look at those hands fly over his drum set!!!!


Oh, oh......I think he spied me taking photo's with my telephoto lens.....doesn't look too happy.



Yup, looking directly at me.




Me and thousands of other fans taking photos!!!!


Yes, Ringo is a little corny but sometimes we all need corny in our lives.  He was an important musician when I was young so I hold a special place in my heart for each of the Beatles.



Thanks Ringo for the great concert and thanks Jill for the many years of friendship!


from the Jumbo-tron





And remember....




Quote for the day:


2 comments:

  1. You created an awesome birthday surprise. Jill is still talking about it. But Dean would have figured it out in 30 seconds. He is a master at the word jumble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've all been friends for so long, and have gottten by with a little help from each other— gotten by "with a little help from our friends."
    Your birthday present for Jill is awesome, sweet, loving and brings us baby-boomers back to a precious era.
    Thanks, Jeanette.


    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...