Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

It's Tomato Season

Song - Traditional Sicilian Polka by Maestro Antonio Calsolaro

I stopped by for a visit with my parents yesterday and they were overloaded with tomatoes in their garden.  So being the "good" daughter that I am, I helped them out by picking a bag full!  Mmmm......a few popped straight into my mouth while I wasn't looking!  And as soon as I got home, I knew what I was going to make with those sweet red tomatoes......Panzanella Salad. 




And boy, oh boy was it delicious!!!

Here is how I adapted several online recipes for what I had on hand at home:

4 c cubed French bread
1 Tbs butter
Garlic Salt

Sauté until lightly browned.

Red onion - diced 
Tomatoes - whole for Cherry tomatoes/lg. dice for big tomatoes
   (they have to be from your Italian mother's tomato plant or your favorite Farmers Market!)
Red Bell Pepper - Diced
Olives
Capers (optional)
Cheese - most recipes call for Mozzarella but I just had some white Cheddar
Basil - shredded and lot's of it!

Toss with Champagne dressing, garlic & a little Poupon mustard. Then grab a fork and a yummy glass of wine!



"If your mother cooks Italian food, why should you go to a restaurant?" -- Martin Scorsese

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...