Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Monday, June 24, 2013

Woodies on the Wharf 2013

 Song - Surf Medley by Jr. Brown live




Over the weekend Mr. B and I went to the 19th annual Woodies on the Wharf in Santa Cruz.  Although I am not a big car fan, when it comes to something vintage I can enjoy the history and wonder about it's survival up until now.

I spent a lot of time in Santa Cruz during my youth and I remember seeing woodies on Highway 17, with guys piled inside and surf boards on top of their car, on their way to Santa Cruz for a day of surfing.


Above is one that we passed on Friday, heading over the pass on 17 and reminiscent of a day gone by.


There were about 180 woodies there to great us at the end of the wharf. 



It was difficult to take photo's as there were so many people checking out the engine, interior, wood detail, etc.  But Mr. B taught me an exercise in patience that morning.  (yes, I know, hard to believe....) But he would be my lookout and let me know when there was a clearing in the group so I could take my shot with as few people as possible.



Loved the stickers in the windows.  Some were timeless.



They also had a beautiful surf board demonstration with Floyd Smith making handmade surfboards.

Some of the cars were quite old but still in great shape.



Pontiac hood ornament.




Edelbrock was and is famous for making specialized carburetors.  But before you think I really know my car parts....don't get excited, I only know this because my middle son, Jon, works for them in Torrance, CA.



Now who knows what this little handle on the steering wheel is?


Have you ever heard of a Necker Knob?

I have but only because my dear sweet dad had one! 

Wiktionary -
necker's knob (plural necker's knobs)
(idiomatic, slang, dated) A knob attached to the steering wheel of an automobile, especially before the widespread availability of power steering, helping the driver steer with one arm and leaving the other arm free to provide romantic attention to a companion.

 Daddy!!! Or maybe I should say MOM!  I am shocked at you two!!




The beauty of the wood was amazing both inside & out.





Does anyone remember these canvas bags hanging from cars?  Desert Bags.......for you young people out there, it carried water for the car so if your car overheated (and they often did) you had water handy when ever you needed it.  I am beginning to feel very old.....



This was one of my favorites.  I loved the color, the white walls and the outside sun visor - very sweet.  Mmmm.  It could hold a lot of painting supplies.....



My quote for the day is.....



For more information on Woodies on the Wharf - http://www.santacruzwoodies.com/june-22-2013-woodies-on-the-wharf/


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...