Life Lessons


"Figuring out our gifts in life is part of our journey to becoming enlightened human beings.” – Allison DuBois

Friday, June 22, 2012

Summer Wind

 Song - Summer Wind by Frank Sinatra

Our weather lately has been a little like the two figures who are on the window ledge in my office.


 OPPOSITES



Elmo is the 3 1/2 year old red furry puppet from Sesame Street, who talks in the first person and has a lot of innocent questions about the world around him.

And Quan Yin is the Chinese Buddhist goddess of compassion, mercy and understanding.


Huh?

I like them both.

But my point is the difference and the changes, just like our weather!

A "fried" rose


We had a heat wave last weekend during my art show and the weather was up to 105.


But over the last few days it has been overcast and blustery.


Chairs are being thrown



In fact, it has been so windy that several chairs blew over as well as several of my favorite topiaries came crashing to the ground.  The pool is full of debris and it has left me with an "unsettled" feeling. 

Chards of terracotta


Today began with cold-gray skies, just the kind of day you want to stay in bed, snuggle the dogs (Mr. B was out of town) and read but it has turned into a mild afternoon, so I thought I would take my camera out into the yard and see what's growing (or what has fried in the last week!)

I let the Sweet Pea's go to seed to see if I can save them for next year

The grapes on our pergola are very happy

Sweet Feverfew

Grandpa Art's favorite - Double Delight

My Heirloom tomatoes grew very fast during the heat wave

Tarragon is great with chicken!

Thai Basil - first time growing this

Lobelia is growing happily in the shade but got fried in the sun

Even my garden bunny is looking up for sunshine

Alpine Strawberries that the dogs like to eat - they are tiny but with an incredible intense sweet flavor

All three Apple trees are filled - time to thin them out

The lemon trees are also developing fruit
Tyler's Jeep has had the roof off for the last week - I guess he doesn't mind the wind.....or heat....or cold?


 But my one of my favorite flowers is beginning to bloom right now - The Hydrangea







I don't know what it is about Hydrangea's but they feel so "cool".  Probably because they grow in semi-shade around here and take so much water to keep alive (which is why Mr. B doesn't like them! - but I grow them anyway but don't tell him!!!)

Zinnea

Dahlia

Agapanthus - kinda looks like fireworks

Single petaled Dahlia

Echinacea or Cone Flower


Thanks for taking a walk with me through my garden.  Please come again.


"A man has made at least a start on discovering the meaning of human life when he plants shade trees under which he knows full well he will never sit. " - D. Elton Trueblood





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...